About Me

Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
I'm an enthusiatic crafter with a love of variety and all things hand-made. Happiest when surrounded by the chaos of several projects on the go at once, rummaging in the remnant bin, or discovering hidden treasures in Antique markets. Living in a cottage by the sea with Ben and Boris our Black Lab.

Wednesday 11 May 2011

Knitting Needle Roll



Although beautiful, the skies were looking ferocious so I made the decision to stay safe indoors and play with a little idea which had been brewing in the back of my mind. 

I'd seen a photo of a Knitting Needle Roll made by Kathleen Watson, one of our Make and Doers. She had sewn long pockets into a rectangle of fabric which could store all her needles safely and be rolled up, neat and tidy. This would be a vast improvement to my method of chucking everything in a large bag and hiding it behind the sofa!

So I picked my fabric, dusted off the sewing machine and got to work. Once I figured out how to engineer the thing it was really straight forward to put together. I also discovered the joy of using pegs rather than pins to hold everything together (a tip from Kathleen) which was a revelation!


The finished article measured 19"x12" and had two layers of pockets for different sized needles and hooks. I made the pockets 1" wide which is plenty of room for even my chunky needles. I left a 4" flap at the top which folds over when you roll it up to stop needles from falling out.


 It's hard to tell from the photos but the polka dot fabric is a lovely aubergene purple. Overall I'm really pleased with the results, I hope it encourages me to get knitting now!

On a slightly different note, tomorrow night's Things to Make and Do workshop will be focussing on Sugar Craft. The extreemly talented Julie Winson will be showing us how to mold a lump of icing sugar into beautiful roses. Here's an example of some of her work on a slightly grander scale:


For more of her edible artwork go and have a look at her website www.cakesbyscarletribbons.co.uk which has lots of photos and information for you. xxx






4 comments:

  1. Brilliant effort with the knitting needle roll :-) It looks amazing ♥ So excited for tomorrow nights TTM&D ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma! It'll be great, she's so clever. I Love the idea of edible art :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that looks fab...your so clever, i wouldn't even know where to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laura, I've written everything I did down step by step so will try and put together a how to hand-out.

    ReplyDelete